The Finnish-designed Origo Steering Wheel may look strange, but it was created like this to keep drivers’ hands on the wheel at all times. Featuring tactile, three-dimensional touch surfaces on the steering wheel that can be connected to various smart controls in the vehicle, thus enabling quick access to the most important functions, such as adjusting climate settings, using turn signals, setting navigation, and more. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
Several companies worked on this design, which has Canatu providing its transparent 3D touch surfaces, Siili Auto implementing their smart steering wheel User Interface (UI) of the smart steering wheel and Rightware providing its market-leading HMI (Human Machine Interface) software tools. Putting everything together is Northern Works, the supplier for the project responsible for the industrial design.
- Works on Xbox Series X, Xbox One and PC - Driving force is designed for the latest racing game titles for your Xbox Series X or Xbox One console. Add driving force to your controller selection and you may never want to race with a regular controller again. G920 driving force pro also works on PC with select titles
- Realistic force feedback - G920 driving force is engineered with dual-motor force feedback that is designed to realistically simulate the feel of your car and tires on every turn and type of terrain so you can sense under- or oversteer, drifting and more. With helical gears modeled after the gearing used in car transmissions, you get exceptionally smooth, quiet and precise steering action. Anti-backlash tensioning keeps the wheel and pedals tight, maximizing your control
- Quality construction - With solid steel ball bearings in the wheel shaft and stainless steel paddle shifters and pedals, driving force is built for precision racing and long-lasting reliability. The wheel is covered in high-quality, hand-stitched leather, giving it the look and feel of a high-performance racecar wheel and giving you a more comfortable, durable experience. Durable built-in clamps and bolt points allow driving force to be mounted securely to a table or racing rig to minimize shifting or wobbling during aggressive maneuvers
- Easy-access game controls - The D-Pad and console buttons are conveniently located on the wheel for seamless access to racing controls, while the semi-automatic paddle shifters help you execute smooth, accurate gear transitions on hairpin turns and straightaways. Glass-filled nylon mounting clamps
- Responsive pedal unit - The G920 comes with a separate floor pedal unit that enables a more realistic body position for driving, so you can comfortably brake, accelerate and change gears like you would in an actual car. The nonlinear brake pedal mimics the performance of pressure-sensitive brake systems for a more responsive, accurate braking feel
The initial idea of the Origo steering wheel was to challenge the status quo of the existing steering wheel HMI and not just take the easy route of converting analog controls into digital versions. Our lives have become cluttered with information and overstimulated with choices, so we wanted to offer the driver clarity with our steering wheel concept and reduce functions and controls to just the bare necessities,” said Miika Heikkinen, Lead Designer, Northern Works.