Photo credit: Vintage Everyday
The 1939-40 New York World’s Fair was held at Flushing Meadows–Corona Park in Queens and the second most expensive American world’s fair of all time. Many countries around the world exhibited, and over 44-million people attended the festivities in two seasons. Why? Well, it was the first exposition to showcase future technologies and “the world of tomorrow”. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information about the Pontiac ghost car that was at the show.
Officially called the 1939 Pontiac Deluxe Six Plexiglas Car, it had body panels made from acrylic plastic, with all screws and fasteners chrome-plated for added dramatic effect. The structural metal beneath was given a copper wash treatment, while all hardware, including the dashboard, received chrome plating. Rubber moldings were cast in white, along with the car’s tires. It reportedly cost $25,000 to build at the time, or $466,922 today if accounting for inflation.
- Officially licensed by Ferrari & highly detailed interior/exterior – 1: 14 scale toy car measures 13.3" X 5.9" X 3.3"; features with butterfly doors (open by manual), working headlights/ taillights, built-in spring suspension system, differential mechanism, Rims and rubber tires, stereo equipment, steering wheel, leather seats and etc.
- Full functions - forward, reverse, stop, turn left & right; it works best on the flat surface (in dry weather) and can be used indoors and outdoors.
- Excellent performance – remote range up to 98 feet, speed 5.1 mph, frequency available in optional 27 MHz or 40 MHz; made of top-grade ABS plastic to prevent scratch and protect kids.
- Batteries not included - requires 5 x AA for the car and 1 x 9V for the remote controller; package includes 1 x RASTAR RC car, 1 x dual-grip remote-controller and 1 x User guide.
- Factory assembled, ready to run, easy to play; manufactured by RASTAR Group, 100% quality .
When WWII started just 6-months into the 1939 World’s Fair, many exhibits were affected, especially those on display in the pavilions of countries under Axis occupation. Once it closed in 1940, many exhibits were destroyed, though some buildings were retained for the 1964–1965 New York World’s Fair, held at the same place.