Virgin Galactic just revealed their first SpaceShip III, the VSS Imagine. It will begin ground testing, with glide flights planned for this summer from Spaceport America in New Mexico. Imagine features a new livery design, finished entirely with a mirror-like material that reflects the surrounding environment, making it appear as if it’s constantly changing color as it travels from earth to space. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
In addition to providing thermal protection, this innovative material is aesthetically pleasing to the human eye, “reflecting our inherent human fascination with space and the transformative experience of spaceflight.” SpaceShip III class vehicles are designed to enable improved performance in terms of maintenance access and flight rate, laying the foundation for the design as well as manufacture of future vehicles.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module; Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands; The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter; It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older
Virgin Galactic spaceships are built specifically to deliver a new, transforming perspective to the thousands of people who will soon be able to experience the wonder of space for themselves. As a SpaceShip III class of vehicle, Imagine is not just beautiful to look at, but represents Virgin Galactic’s growing fleet of spaceships. All great achievements, creations and changes start with an idea. Our hope is for all those who travel to space to return with fresh perspectives and new ideas that will bring positive change to our planet,” said Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin.