Mobility company Zoox Inc. has just officially unveiled its fully functional, electric, autonomous vehicle that is designed for dense, urban environments. This purpose-built robotaxi is capable of operating up to 75 miles per hour, and is the only vehicle to offer bidirectional driving capabilities as well as four-wheel steering, which means you can drive through compact spaces as well as change directions without the need to reverse. Read more for two videos and additional information.
At 11.9-feet long, the vehicle boasts a four-seat, face-to-face symmetrical seating configuration that eliminates the steering wheel and bench seating seen in conventional car designs. It’s powered by a 133 kWh battery that enables it to operate for up to 16 continuous hours on a single charge. There are also 100 safety innovations not featured in conventional cars, including a novel airbag system for bidirectional vehicles and carriage seating that envelops passengers. Plus, a unique sensor suite of cameras, radar, and LIDAR allow it to obtain an unrivaled 270-degree field of view on all four corners of the vehicle, eliminating typical blind spots, while being able to keep an eye on pedestrians, bicyclists, and other road users.
- LEGO builders learn advanced elements of engineering while improving creative problem-solving skills as they construct and play with this amazing app-controlled LEGO Technic 4x4 X-treme Off-Roader.
- This 4x4 app-controlled truck is powered by an advanced Smart Hub with 3 motors and operated via the LEGO TECHNIC CONTROL+ app, which delivers super-precise movement and functionality for a highly immersive play experience.
- Kids can choose from 3 alternative screens on their smart device to drive and traverse obstacles at the touch of a fingertip, play sound effects, complete fun challenges and get real-time feedback, such as a speed and tilt log.
- Ideal as a Christmas or birthday gift for all aged 11+, this sturdy 958-piece 4x4 app-controlled truck comes with high-rise independent suspension, large wheels with chunky tires and a fresh color scheme with cool sticker detailing.
- The 42099 LEGO Technic 4x4 X-treme Off-Roader measures over 7” (19cm) high, 12” (33cm) long and 8” (22cm) wide and can be combined with all other original LEGO sets and LEGO bricks for creative play.
Revealing our functioning and driving vehicle is an exciting milestone in our company’s history and marks an important step on our journey towards deploying an autonomous ride-hailing service. We are transforming the rider experience to provide superior mobility-as-a-service for cities. And as we see the alarming statistics around carbon emissions and traffic accidents, it’s more important than ever that we build a sustainable, safe solution that allows riders to get from point A to point B,” said Aicha Evans, Zoox Chief Executive Officer.