Blue Origin announced today that 18-year-old physics student Oliver Daemen will be the first paying customer to fly on board New Shepard, marking the beginning of commercial operations for the program. He’ll be joined by Jeff Bezos, Mark Bezos, and Wally Funk aboard New Shepard’s first human flight on July 20th. This sudden replacement came about when the original winner of Blue Origin’s auction chose to fly on a future New Shepard mission due to scheduling conflicts. Read more for a short news segment and additional information.
Oliver, a physics student who graduated from high school in 2020, has always had a passion for space, the Moon, and rockets. He took a gap year before continuing his studies to obtain his private pilot’s license. After returning from the spaceflight, Oliver will begin his studies at the University of Utrecht in the fields of physics and innovation management this September.
- Build a multi-stage rocket and large transport crawler with launch pad, plus a truck with grappling arm to load a rover into the rocket, rover lab and launch control building with loads of role-play possibilities!
- Includes 7 LEGO City minifigures: 2 astronauts, 2 ground crew technicians, a Launch Director, scientist, lab mechanic and a robot figure, plus a rover with extending arm and drill and an assembly frame building
- Rocket laying down measures over 3-inch (8cm) high, 16-inch (43cm) long and 5-inch (13cm) wide Transport crawler measures over 4-inch (12cm) high, 11-inch (29cm) long and 5-inch (15cm) wide Assembly frame building measures over 8-inch (21cm) high, 11-inch (28cm) wide and 4-inch (12cm) deep Rover garage measures over 4-inch (12cm) high, 7-inch (18cm) wide and 7-inch (19cm) deep Launch control measures over 4-inch (12cm) high, 5-inch (15cm) wide and 2-inch (6cm) deep
- 1055 pieces – Space toy for boys and girls aged 7+ and for fans of LEGO rocket ships and kids of all ages
- This LEGO City Rocket Assembly & Transport 60229 cool toy for kids makes a great NASA-inspired gift for kids and can be built together with all other original LEGO sets and bricks for more creative play
We thank the auction winner for their generous support of Club for the Future and are honored to welcome Oliver to fly with us on New Shepard. This marks the beginning of commercial operations for New Shepard, and Oliver represents a new generation of people who will help us build a road to space,” said Bob Smith, CEO of Blue Origin.