Elon Musk’s Neuralink company held a live press conference earlier today demonstration its brain-computer interface technology. The team demonstrated the technology on three pigs, with real-time neural signals being shown from one of the pigs named Gertrude. That particular animal has had the implant for about two months. The implants consist of tiny flexible ‘threads’ that are 10 times thinner than a human hair with the goal of treating brain injuries and trauma, eventually providing symbiosis between humans as well as artificial intelligence. Read more for the presentation highlights and additional information.
By installing a chip to replace a small portion of the human skull, could eventually restore limb function, improve human cognition, resolve issues with eyesight, and help with other diseases. Neuralink is currently focused on memory loss, blindness and paralysis. Elon Musk says that getting the implant will not require general anesthesia, as a robot will perform the entire surgery in about one hour to insert the coin-sized implant.
- Top VR gaming library: Blast, slash and soar your way through the top library in VR gaming. Oculus Rift S lets you play hundreds of games and exclusives already available in the Oculus store, with so much more to come.
- Improved optics: Stare down the competition with next-generation lenses and a sharper display. Improved optics deliver bright, vivid colors and reduced “screen-door” effect.
- Ergonomic design: Keep your head in the game thanks to a Halo headband redesigned with speed in mind. Rift S stays securely and comfortably in place with a quick twist of the fit wheel, so it can take-or double take-your fastest reactions.
- Oculus touch controllers: Arm yourself with our updated Oculus touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grab appear in VR with intuitive, realistic precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game.
- Oculus insight tracking: take a step forward with Oculus insight. It translates your movements into VR No matter which way you're facing and provides room-scale tracking without external sensors.