If you’ve never heard of a Roomba, it’s basically an autonomous robotic vacuum cleaner that utilizes a set of sensors to navigate the floor area of a home and clean it. These sensors can detect the presence of obstacles, dirty spots on the floor, and even steep drops to keep it from falling down stairs. The one downfall is that it can’t actually climb up stairs on its own, that is unless…you’re talking about engineer Peter Sripol’s latest creation. Read more for a video of the world’s first flying Roomba.
How does it work? Well, the engineer installed three duct fans, a chipset and custom wiring, which cost him over $200 by the way, to enable it to fly. Unfortunately, the bulkiness of the fans prohibit the 360° suction of the original robot and the fans’ programming prevents automation. To hop stairs or skip landings, you’ll have to manually control the Roomba using a remote.
- CLEAN SMARTER - The 600 series is a great way to begin cleaning your home smarter. Just schedule it to clean up daily dirt, dust, and debris with the iRobot HOME app or your voice assistant. - for effortlessly clean floors.
- LOOSENS, LIFTS, & SUCTIONS - The 3 Stage Cleaning system & Dual Multi-Surface brushes grab dirt from carpets & hard floors, an Edge-Sweeping brush takes care of corners & edges.
- LEARNS YOUR LIFE LISTENS TO YOUR VOICE - Learns your cleaning habits to offer up personalized schedules, while Google Assistant & Alexa allow you to start cleaning with just the sound of your voice.
- ADAPTIVE NAVIGATION - A full suite of advanced sensors allow Roomba to navigate under & around furniture, & along edges. Cliff Detect keeps it from falling down stairs.
- SENSES & ELIMINATES DIRT - Dirt Detect Sensors alert your robot about dirtier areas of your home, like high-traffic spots, & cleans them more thoroughly.