Epic Games revealed their HMI initiative today, which enables the creation of automotive infotainment and digital cockpit experiences. The soon-to-be-revealed GMC HUMMER EV will be the first vehicle to use Unreal Engine in its digital cockpit with software and hardware from BlackBerry QNX, Mapbox, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., Siili Auto as well as Vectorform. Unreal Engine separates itself from traditional HMI workflows and allows for key features for design driven development, such as version control, visual scripting via Blueprints, and direct access to a C++ codebase. Read more for a video and additional information.
Since multiple automotive companies already utilize Unreal Engine for car configurators. marketing operations, existing projects, assets, and pipelines, these assets can be reused with little effort for HMI systems. Plus, assets created by teams working on HMI can later be reused n marketing materials, and once optimized, they can be adapted for mobile applications or companion apps.
- System: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Max Turbo); 8GB DDR4 RAM; 240GB SSD; Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB Dedicated Graphics Card; Display connectors - Dual link DVI-D, HDMI
- Connectivity: 4 x USB 3.0; 2 x USB 2.0; 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000; Audio: 7.1 Channel
- Special Add-Ons: Tempered glass RGB gaming case 802.11AC Wi-Fi included 16 color RGB lighting case free iBuyPower Gaming keyboard & RGB gaming mouse no bloatware
- Warranty: 1 year parts & labor + free lifetime US tech support; Assembled in the U.S.A
We have a dedicated team of artists and engineers who have been working to support new features for HMI. We’re thrilled that the GMC HUMMER EV will be the first vehicle to use Unreal Engine in its digital cockpit, marking an exciting partnership in building next-generation experiences on embedded systems. As we move towards level five vehicle autonomy, in-car infotainment systems will become more and more relevant to influencing consumer purchase decisions, and Unreal Engine will bring new levels of flexibility, interactivity and visual fidelity to these next generation systems,” said François Antoine, Director of HMI and Embedded Systems, Epic Games.