Photo credit: Joseph Robinson
Since the RX-8 ended production in 2012, the Mazda Wankel rotary engine is produced only for single seater racing, with the one-make Star Mazda Championship being contested with a Wankel engine until 2017 (transitioned to Mazda-branded piston engine in 2018). What if the automaker were to combine this with an electric motor in supercar form? Introducing the Mazda 9 Supercar by designer Joseph Robinson. Read more for additional pictures and information.
There’s no horsepower numbers mentioned, other than the hybrid powertrain would consist of a Renesis rotary engine as its main propulsion, which is assisted by an electric motor. Around 2.5-years ago, senior managing executive officer and R&D Chief Kiyoshi Fujiwara told journalists that they were still working on a rotary engine for a sports car that will potentially in some markets be with hybrid drivetrains in 2019/20.
- Authentically licensed product from the Fast & Furious Saga.
- As seen in 2 Fast 2 Furious, the Mazda RX-7 has been taken directly from the big screen and brought to you in a 1:24 scale die - cast model
- Crafted from durable materials such as 100% die - cast metal and premium rubber tires.
- This premium die - cast model is a must have for any Fast & Furious collection
- Our high - end casting method allows for feature rich details, such as an opening hood, doors , detailed interior, and trunk.
Some cities will ban combustion, thus electrification is required because the driver can’t use this rotary sports car. However, in some places this small electrification won’t be needed, therefore they can utilize pure rotary engines.