When NASA researchers observe a black hole, they normally view it at the center of a far-off galaxy, slowly consuming a disk of gas that swirls around it like water circling a drain. However, two years ago, astronomers were perplexed as X-rays from the black hole corona in a galaxy known as 1ES 1927+654 disappeared completely, fading by a factor of 10,000 in about 40 days. Even stranger, it almost immediately began to rebound, and around 100 days later, had become 20-times brighter than before the event. Read more for a video and additional information.
When the X-rays from the black hole’s corona disappeared, NASA’s Neutron star Interior Composition Explorer (NICER) and Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory discovered lower-energy X-rays from the system so that, combined, these observatories provided a continuous stream of information throughout the event. They assume that a wayward star is the most likely culprit, and that the black hole shredded it, inadvertently sending debris at its own feeding disk.
- SUPERIOR OPTICS: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
- POWERFUL EYEPIECES FOR UP-CLOSE VIEWING: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with two high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
- LARGE 70MM OBJECTIVE LENS: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
- BONUS BAG, TRIPOD, MOON FILTER, 2x BARLOW, BLUETOOTH SHUTTER RELEASE, SMARTPHONE ADAPTER AND SOFTWARE: Highly portable and ready for your digiscoping adventures. Also includes a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from the world’s #1 telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a two-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.
We just don’t normally see variations like this in accreting black holes. It was so strange that at first we thought maybe there was something wrong with the data. When we saw it was real, it was very exciting. But we also had no idea what we were dealing with; no one we talked to had seen anything like this,” said Claudio Ricci, an assistant professor at Diego Portales University in Santiago, Chile, and lead author of the study.