Photo credit: Matteo Pisani
Matteo Pisani was lucky enough to not experience the dreaded Joy-Con drift issue with his Nintendo Switch, but still wanted to figure out a clever fix. So, he removed the Joy-Con entirely and replaced it with a touchpad. That’s right, Matteo started with a transparent green Joy-Con housing and then upgraded the electronics with a digital potentiometer, a capacitive touchpad nestled in a custom 3D-printed enclosure, and an Arduino Pro Mini to translate the digital signals from the touchpad to analog joystick signals the Switch is expecting. Read more for a video and additional information.
While the finished project isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as Nintendo’s OEM hardware, but the touchpad’s circular design does provide tactile limits so you can actually feel when your finger has reached the edge. This means it won’t accidentally moving out of range unlike when you’re using virtual on-screen controls.
- 🎮【High Compatibility】Our wireless controller for switch is perfect for Nintendo Switch/Switch Lite and supporting latest version updated.It works well for all Nintendo games and supports 4 people together.Ideal for family fun,parties and nice gift for game lovers on games like Zelda,Splatoon 2,Mario Kart 8 Deluxe,Super Mario Odyssey and so on.
- 🎮【3 Turbo Speed & Double Vibration】Our wireless controller for switch supports 3 auto adjustable Turbo speeds:5 shoots/s,12 shoots/s,and 20 shoots/s;3 different level double vibration:weak,medium to strong,making you feel ultimate gaming experience.
- 🎮【Lightweight & Motion Control】This wireless controller for switch is light,ergonomic,comfortable and fashionable,very comfortable to play games.And with the built-in 6-Axis Gyro to detect detail movements,our updated controller is capable of extremely precise speed,position,and accurate control,rapid start/stop motion.
- 🎮【Long Playing Time】With 500mAh lithium battery,just charge 2-3h,Our wireless controller for switch can provide you 8-10 hours game time playing continuously provide a wonderful moment and enhance the gaming experience.
- 🎮【Bluetooth Connection】This wireless controller for switch is easily paired with Switch Console via Bluetooth and the connection range of this controller is about 32ft.Hope you will love it!
Doing things more seriously: in my plans there’s the idea to miniaturize the whole circuitry in order to create a smaller PCB that could suit directly inside the Joy-Con controller in place of the Analog Joystick small box that’s approximately 19 x 16 x 4 mm in size,” said Matteo.