Photo credit: Matteo Pisani
Matteo Pisani was lucky enough to not experience the dreaded Joy-Con drift issue with his Nintendo Switch, but still wanted to figure out a clever fix. So, he removed the Joy-Con entirely and replaced it with a touchpad. That’s right, Matteo started with a transparent green Joy-Con housing and then upgraded the electronics with a digital potentiometer, a capacitive touchpad nestled in a custom 3D-printed enclosure, and an Arduino Pro Mini to translate the digital signals from the touchpad to analog joystick signals the Switch is expecting. Read more for a video and additional information.
While the finished project isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as Nintendo’s OEM hardware, but the touchpad’s circular design does provide tactile limits so you can actually feel when your finger has reached the edge. This means it won’t accidentally moving out of range unlike when you’re using virtual on-screen controls.
- 【AVAILABLE FOR GAME TIME】: Built-in 500mAh lithium battery, 5H can be used after full charge, use the charging cable provided in the package, the charging time is 2-3h, the indicator light is on when charging, the charging situation is clear at a glance.
- 【ADVANCED FUNCTION EXPERIENCE】: With dual analog joysticks and extended triggers, no input lag, responsive controls and buttons can release combos, and the number of combos per second can be adjusted to 8/12/20. The vibration frequency is divided into weak/medium/strong third gear adjustment.
- 【HIGH COMPATIBILITY】 The wireless switch pro controller is perfect for Nintendo games. Such as the legend of Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey and so on.
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】This nintendo switch pro controller is light, ergonomic, comfortable and fashionable, and it is more comfortable to play games. It supports 4 people to play games at the same time, ideal for family fun and parties.
- 【BLUETOOTH CONNECTION】This Nintendo Switch Controller is wireless and can be easily paired with Switch console via Bluetooth(Bluetooth V2). 1 quickly and stably connected with switch console within 10M(barrier-free environment).We provide 30 days return , 1 Year and life-time technical support.
Doing things more seriously: in my plans there’s the idea to miniaturize the whole circuitry in order to create a smaller PCB that could suit directly inside the Joy-Con controller in place of the Analog Joystick small box that’s approximately 19 x 16 x 4 mm in size,” said Matteo.