Photo credit: Alfred Beddow
This Portal remake in Unreal Engine 5 isn’t from Valve but rather Alfred Beddow, who recreated “test chamber 00” from scratch. Thanks to the power of the new game engine, he was able to add ray-tracing and textures up to 8K resolution. Unfortunately, there are no plans on releasing this to the public, but if Valve shows interest, anything is possible.
Believe it or not, Beddow actually created this remake for a university project, and to do so, each asset had to be recreated from the ground up with new models as well as textures. For anyone who has never played Portal, you basically control Chell from a first-person perspective and navigate through a series of test chambers using the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device. Yes, there are mods for the actual game that add a third portal with time travel, in which case we’d use to go back to 2001 and snag a few unopened iPods.
- Powerful Productivity: AMD Ryzen 3 3350U delivers desktop-class performance and amazing battery life in a slim notebook. With Precision Boost, get up to 3.5GHz for your high-demand applications
- Maximized Visuals: See even more on the stunning 15.6" Full HD display with 82.58% screen-to-body, 16:9 aspect ratio and narrow bezels
- Backlit Keyboard and Fingerprint Reader: Biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in options help keep your Acer PC secure
- Internal Specifications: 4GB DDR4 on-board memory (1 slot available); 128GB NVMe solid-state drive storage (1 hard drive bay available) to store your files and media
- Acer's Purified.Voice technology, features enhanced digital signal processing to cancel out background noise, improve speech accuracy and far-field pickup, which not only makes calls clearer, but makes talking to Alexa easier than before.
Creative liberty was taken in some aspects to improve the fidelity of the models as the originals could be of very low quality and hard to replicate. Some assets such as the walls and doors were taken inspiration from Portal 2. I admit it’s not perfect and is missing a few things but I was on a time crunch and unfortunately didn’t have time to do everything,” said its creator.