Photo credit: Forest Illusion
Never heard of Dinosaur Planet? If so, that’s because this was a game Rare originally planned to release on the Nintendo 64 around 21-years-ago. On the bright side, the developer eventually used its assets to develop Star Fox Adventures for the Nintendo GameCube. Anyone who wants to try out an incomplete version of this game can now do so, thanks to Forest of Illusion, a video game preservation group. Read more to watch 20-minutes of gameplay and for additional screenshots.
This build appears to be late in its development and was sourced from a private collector in Sweden who most likely obtained it by a former Rare employee. Your eyes aren’t playing tricks, Fox McCloud is a playable character in this game, and one reason why it was reworked into a Star Fox game for the GameCube. More information here.
- Multiple System Compatibility: The RetroN 5 allows you to play your favorite NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and GBA cartridges on one system. You can also play Master System games with the use of the Power Base Converter.*
- HD Output: The HD output will upconvert the signal to your HDTV with a maximum output resolution of 720p.
- Save/Load States: Save or load your games at any point during gameplay, with 10 save slots for each game.
- Bluetooth Wireless Controller: Utilizing Bluetooth technology, this controller has a range of up to 30 feet and features a microswitch directional pad, two programmable macro buttons, and a Home button for quick-in game access to features.
- Original Controller Ports: 2 original controller ports (6 total) for each platform