Photo credit: The Sun | AFP – Getty
Second Lieutenant Hubert Rochereau, who fought in a Dragoons cavalry regiment in World War I, perished in the village of Loker, Flanders, on April 26, 1918. His parents were so heartbroken that they blocked the entrance to his room so it would remain a pristine shrine to his memory. It was opened by the home’s new owners, who may one day turn it into a museum. Read more for a video tour and additional information.
The room still has a pistol, pipe and knives on Mr Rochereau’s window-facing desk alongside pictures of his family, while his military hat lays on the bed next to shelves of books discolored by the sun and military boots. The Second Lieutenant’s military jacket still hangs peacefully in the corner, with some parts devoured by moths. Hubert Rochereau, born in 1896, was given the croix de guerre after his death – a medal for courage in battle.
- TINY TROOPERS PLAYSET: 260 army men, vehicles, provisions, playmat and more packed into a hardy storage drum. Take it with you and wage war anywhere!
- 4 WARRING ARMIES: Wage free-for-all war on a 2.5-foot playmat with 4 uniquely colored armies. Forge and break alliances between the green, khaki, silver and maroon armies!
- BATTLE-READY EQUIPMENT: Pilot tanks, helicopters, jets and boats, and place walls, fortifications, and barbed wire
- BIG BATTLE PLAYMAT: Roomy 30" x 25" playmat features cool terrain and strategic fortifications, runways and a helipad
- TROOPER TACTICS INSERT: Included Trooper Tactics insert teaches you about tanks, jets, hedgehogs and foxholes