Photo credit: Smarter Everyday
Smarter Everyday’s Destin Sandlin always wanted to know what would happen when a baseball went supersonic, so he set to find out by building a massive cannon just for the task. It took a few tries to get everything just right, as you’ll see in the first test shot he fired the baseball at a much lower pressure, and without the evacuated barrel, yet still made a mark on the aluminum plate target. Unfortunately, the baseball also disintegrated. Read more for two videos, including a behind-the-scenes, and additional information.
Even though the baseball managed to vaporize, it only managed to slightly polish the surface of the plates and didn’t seem to any damage. Why? Well, the setup consists of two spaced layers of 25 mm thick steel plate. Let’s just say at that speed, the stitched cowhide starts peeling off even before impact.
- Pitch, field, bat, and run the bases just like a real baseball game!
- 2 person game, take turns being the pitcher & fielder and the batting team as you play through the full 9 innings!
- Control the pitcher to throw fastballs and wild curve balls using the innovative magnet technology and control system!
- Track balls, strikes and outs as you pitch!
- Personalize the field with your favorite MLB team! Includes all 30 MLB team billboards and over 200 individual player pieces!
- Improved sound effects
- 1 or 2 player game
- 2 different play modes