Photo credit: The Spencer Owen
The Utah monolith coordinates may not be of much use anymore, or at least for anyone wanting to visit the structure, as it has seemingly disappeared overnight, without a trace, other than a mysterious silver triangle. Utah’s Department of Public Safety stated that biologists first spotted the 11-foot-tall monolith on November 18, and it appeared to have sides made of stainless steel. Since then, at least dozens of groups have hiked their way to the location for photographs. Read more for a video showing what remains and additional information.
Salt Lake City resident Spencer Owen visited the monolith Friday afternoon (Nov. 27) and then camped overnight in the region, but as he made his way to the area again on Saturday, people passing him on the trail warned him it was gone. Despite this warning, he still made his way to the location, but discovered that the only thing left was a triangular piece of metal covering a triangular-shaped hole in the rocks.
- Superior optics: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
- Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with two high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
- Large 70mm objective lens: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
- Bonus bag, tripod, and software: This Celestron telescope and full-height tripod can be taken anywhere in the included travel backpack. Accessories also include a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
- Unbeatable warranty and customer support: Buy with confidence from the world’s #1 telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a two-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.
We have received credible reports that the illegally installed structure, referred to as the ‘monolith’ has been removed from Bureau of Land Management public lands by an unknown party. [The agency did not remove the structure] on Nov. 27, said BLM spokesperson Kimberly Finch.