Photo credit: Love Hulten
A vocal synthesizer is basically an electronic device that combines basic sounds to imitate the speech of a person, but you’ve probably seen nothing like Love Hulten’s VOC-25. This conceptual vocal synthesizer is based on the Axoloti Core and utilizes 25 sets of plastic teeth, with each one representing a unique note on the keyboard. The three-part wooden setup draws inspiration from the classic desktop computer including monitor, main console and keyboard. Read more for a video and additional information.
RAW vocal audio samples are transferred into the main console over USB, thus creating a personal voice bank. There are two integrated effects, reverb and delay. The Axoloti board not only inputs MIDI with the 25-key keyboard, but also outputs MIDI. These signals are then converted to DC current via control boards located inside the monitor segment, which direct the “choir” of 25 individual solenoids, each one connected to a set of hinged teeth.
- Standalone Piano Style Keyboard – Portable mini keyboard and USB MIDI controller with 25 velocity-sensitive synthesizer action keys, pitch/mod joystick control, plus 128 sounds and 10 drum kits
- Play Anywhere – Built in speaker, 1/8-inch headphone output and battery powered specification (3 x AA batteries – not included) for performing and producing on the go
- Beat Maker Essential – Two banks of eight ultra-responsive backlit MIDI drum pads with Note Repeat and Full Level functions for drum machine style performance and music production
- Tweak, Customize – Two banks of four knobs (eight total) to tweak internal sounds or software parameters; in standalone mode control chorus, reverb, filter, EQ and envelope controls
- The MPC Production Experience - Includes MPC Beats Software complete with the finest features and essential production tools from the Akai Professional MPC Series
The setup can be used standalone with its built-in speakers, but it also outputs mono in the back, and using external monitors is a good way to reduce mechanical noise. VOC-25 take inspiration from an original concept created by Simone Giertz,” said its creator.