H/t: Car Scoops
It’s almost guaranteed that nobody has ever heard of the 1977 AM Van concept from the American Motors Corporation, but it could be yours if you happen to win it at the RM Sotheby’s “Sand Lots” auction May 24 – June 1. Designed by Richard Teague, creator of the Jeep Cherokee, the vehicle boasted flared fenders, a deep, front air dam, large side pipes, and sporty wide wheels wrapped in meaty tires.
Unfortunately, the AM Van concept is just a wood-framed, fiberglass-bodied shell with no drivetrain or functional doors, while tinted windows conceal the partial interior. If this vehicle ever went into production, it was designed to seat three, complete with expansive views for all occupants, powered by a four-wheel-drive powertrain. However, Audi’s shape-shifting Skysphere takes concept vehicles to the next level.
- Build an icon of drag racing – Race car fans will love building and exploring this action-packed LEGO Technic Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 (42138) drag race car toy set
- Pull-back function – With 2 pull-back motors, controlling this cool car toy is easy. Just pull back and then release to send your car speeding along
- Epic AR (augmented reality) experience – Use the LEGO Technic AR app to put the car to the test on a virtual racetrack. Check out the challenges for more fun ways to play
- Ideal for any drag racing fan aged 9+ – This muscle car toy building set makes a top gift for anyone who loves race cars, drag racing or AR toys
- Perfect size for play – This cool car toy measures over 3 in. (8 cm) high, 10.5 in. (27 cm) long and 4.5 in. (12 cm) wide
Given its compelling design and historical significance, it has been featured as the centerpiece of multiple museums in recent years, including the Gilmore Museum and the AMC display at the Kenosha County Historical Society. This AM Van design study represents a rare opportunity for a private collector or museum to own a historically significant concept car from one of the most storied American automakers,” said RM Sotheby’s.