No, the selfies you see of NASA’s Mars Perseverance Rover with the Ingenuity Helicopter are not computer-generated, just taken in a very clever way. How so? The selfie required the work of a dozen people, including rover drivers, engineers who ran tests at JPL, and camera operations engineers who developed the camera sequence, processed the images, as well as stitched them together. Before it even happened, it took the team around a week to plot out all the individual commands required. Read more for a video and additional information.
To make it happen, JPL collaborated with Malin Space Science Systems (MSSS) in San Diego, which built and operates WATSON (Wide Angle Topographic Sensor for Operations and Engineering), the camera used for the selfie. It’s designed mainly for capturing close-up detail shots of rock textures, and not wide-angle images. This means that each image WATSON takes covers only a small portion of a scene, thus requiring the engineers to command the rover to take dozens of individual images to produce the selfie.
- INSTANT CAMERA + PHOTO PRINTER - After taking fabulous shots with your KODAK Mini Shot 3 Retro, you have the choice to print or cancel, unlike other polaroid cameras. This instant camera can also connect to any mobile device through Bluetooth to print straight from the photo gallery.
- LOW PHOTO COST - Why pay more to print? Our KODAK Mini Shot 3 Retro photo printer is the most affordable option to print right from your home. Photos are more affordable if purchased as a printer bundle.
- SUPERIOR PHOTO QUALITY - KODAK Mini Shot 3 Retro uses 4Pass Technology to print flawless photos instantly. Each photo is printed in layers of ribbon with a laminating process so it’s fingerprint proof and water-resistant for long-lasting quality.
- TWO PHOTO TYPES - The KODAK Mini Shot 3 Retro photo printer supports both border and borderless type photos. Write down your memories in the border type so they last forever. Print the borderless type to have larger sized photos.
- AR APP - Download the KODAK Photo Printer application to print anywhere and anytime. You can use the fun augmented reality features and other decorative functions like beauty, filters, frames, and more.
I got into this because I saw a picture from Sojourner, NASA’s first Mars rover. When we took that first selfie, we didn’t realize these would become so iconic and routine,” said Vandi Verma, Perseverance’s chief engineer for robotic operations at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California.