Photo credit: Lets Go Digital
Samsung has released several folding smartphones, but according to a recently uncovered patent, they’re working on one with a dual sliding display. Filed with the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Office) and approved on January 21, 2021, the description calls it a ‘double retractable device,’ in which both the front / back of the smartphone is made of a flexible material you can extend out like a tablet. Read more to see the patent sketches and for additional pictures.
This smartphone’s housing sports two gears and a gear rail that enables you to pull it in and out the flexible display. In closed form, the retractable part of the screen is stored in the housing, and the same mechanism is also used for the rear. Since this is a flexible material, the rear section can also move with the frame. The fingerprint sensor is located under the screen, and there appears to be a triple rear camera system as well as a front hole punch camera.
- Pro Grade Camera: Zoom in close, take photos and videos like a pro, and capture incredible share-ready moments with our easy-to-use, multi lens camera
- Sharp 8K Video: Capture your life’s best moments in head-turning, super-smooth 8K video that gives your movies that cinema-style quality
- Multiple Ways to Record: Create share-ready videos and GIFs on the spot with multi-cam recording and automatic professional-style effects
- 100x Zoom: Get amazing clarity with a dual lens combo of 3x and 10x optical zoom, or go even further with our revolutionary 100x Space Zoom
- Highest Smartphone Resolution: Crystal clear 108MP allows you to pinch, crop and zoom in on your photos to see tiny, unexpected details, while lightning-fast Laser Focus keeps your focal point clear