Photo credit: Pizza Pacaya De David via Oddity Central
Chef Mario David García Mansilla decided to showcase his pizza making skills in one of the most unusual ways ever. Since he grew up close to Pacaya, one of Guatemala’s most active volcanoes, it’s now used as a giant pizza oven for his Pizza Pacaya business. These days, you can find him cooking up a hot pie for hikers visiting the active volcano, which does command a premium due to the difficulties and dangers of such a stunt. Read more for a video and additional information.
What you may not know is that Mario started out his career as an accountant, but soon realized he could use the volcano he’s seen all his life to kick start his entrepreneurial spirit. Before cooking up pizza, he roasted steaks and braised chicken, but realized that hauling such heavy ingredients up to the volcano wasn’t practical to say the least. It took 5-years to perfect his craft, and Pizza Pacaya was officially established in 2019.
- Rotating tray turns continuously to assure even baking.
- Top and bottom heating elements bake foods from both sides. Heating elements are separately controlled, allowing you to select top, bottom, or both elements for perfect results every time.
- Timer signals end of cooking time and automatically turns off heating elements.
- Saves as much as 60% in energy compared to a conventional oven.
- Removable nonstick baking pan is easy to clean and store.